Everyone's at it

Here's the plan: We all cut our carbon by 10% this year. You, me, that bloke walking his dog outside. Your work, your kids’ school, the council, the church, the chip shop. Everyone.

57,234 people are already on board. Why not join them today?

Join the campaign now


Quick questions

What does it mean to sign up?

You pledge to cut your emissions by 10% in 2010. Don't worry if it sounds difficult – we'll help you every step of the way with tips, case studies and other resources.

Does it require a major change in your lifestyle?

For most people, 10% is fairly easy. Unless you've already done a lot to reduce your emissions, things like insulating your loft, flying less and staying longer, or changing your lightbulbs should do the trick.

Will doing this actually make a difference?

10:10 makes our individual efforts meaningful by ensuring that lots of people and organisations unite behind a single pledge. This ensures that we're not only cutting emissions directly but also showing politicians that we're ready to tackle climate change right now. You can boost your impact yet further by encouraging your friends, workplace, clubs or schools to sign up to 10:10. Our Promote page has all the resources you need to get the word out.

Why 10%?

Big tasks are easier if broken up into smaller, manageable pieces – and 10% this year is much more tangible and achievable than, say, 80% by 2050. Furthermore, 10% in a year starting this year is the kind of target that scientists say will give us the best chance of a safe future for our children and grandchildren. Cutting our carbon by 10% each year is just the first step, of course, but it puts us on the right track.

New Zealanders will take a practical, can-do approach to reducing carbon emissions. We know that our recent pre-occupation with motor vehicles and shopping is but a passing phase and are getting ready to stretch our legs more in the great outdoors. The 10:10 pledge might well be the encouragement we need. April's a good time for real New Year resolutions to start, after those fad diets and house tidying of January have worn off. Let's go for it. If kiwi sports heroes can cut 10, 20 even 30% off their emissions in a year (see http://www.projectlitefoot.org ) it can't be too hard?

Join the campaign now